Real People. Real Jobs. Real Adventures.

Attractions

 

Danish Mill and
Park
on the Square

The founders of Kenmare built the city around a park. This park now has beautiful trees, flowers, and benches to enjoy a summer day. Located in the center of this park is the Danish Mill. The Danish Mill was built in 1902 on a homestead, 11 miles north of Kenmare. It was used by area farmers for grinding grains into flour.

In 1959, the Mill was moved into the City of Kenmare and its restoration was completed in 1961. In 1965 the mill was moved to the city park and given a face lift in 1996.

Kenmare High
School Rocks

Tradition of setting class year into a hillside has been going on since 1945 What's up with those numbers on the hills? It is a question that countless strangers to the area have asked after driving through the valley south of Kenmare.

For more than 60 years, all but a few of the graduating classes of Kenmare High School have left their mark for posterity on the hillsides. Each spring the seniors select a hill, gather with shovels, trucks, and paint brushes, then get to work. An outline of their class year is staked out. Then the sod is dug out and hauling in of field stones begins. When the trenches have been completely filled with rocks, the project is finished off with a coat of whitewash or paint. For many years, Rock Day was an organized school event for seniors just before graduation.

Most of the KHS class-year rock monuments have taken shape on the hillsides from seven to eleven miles south of town along Highway 52.

Class years from '51 to present can be easily spotted as one cruises through the area of the Baden overpass. Years pass, but the numbers remain highly visible as the classes apply a fresh coat of paint during their reunions.

The first KHS rocks took shape in 1945. The students' rock graffiti on the hillsides was initially conceived as a diversion from less desirable graffiti painted on buildings and other structures around town.

Lake County
Historical Society's
Pioneer Village

Lake County Historical Society's Pioneer Village and Museum preserves the value of area history in a 5 acre, 22 building village.

Of special interest are a pioneer church, one room school house, 1904 home, town hall, homesteading shacks, and many early day businesses. Each are furnished to recreate their original settings.

The Village's newest structure is the Rytter Implement Museum, finished in 2011 to exhibit a variety of antique tractors, vintage machinery, and even a 1946 Ford car.

Young and old will enjoy touring the village. For some it is a glimpse of their ancestors lives, for others a reliving of old memories.

Celebrate the past during the annual Pioneer Day in July 2014. This popular event features an old-fashioned church service, children's games, log cutting contest, pig roast, live melodrama, and more!

The village is located along Highway 52, north of the Pizza Hub.

Summer Hours:
Wednesday - Friday, 4-7pm
Saturday - Sunday, 2-5pm; or by appointment any time.

Tours can also be arranged by calling Bryan Quigley at 701-467-3444 or 701-240-4505, Cindy Rytter at 701-385-4248.