Danish Mill and Park on the Square
The founders of Kenmare built the city around a park. This park now has beautiful trees, flowers, and benches to enjoy a summer day. Located in the center of this park is the Danish Mill. The Danish Mill was built in 1902 on a homestead, 11 miles north of Kenmare. It was used by area farmers for grinding grains into flour.
In 1959, the Mill was moved into the City of Kenmare and its restoration was completed in 1961. In 1965 the mill was moved to the city park and given a face lift in 1996.
Tradition of setting class year into a hillside has been going on since 1945 What's up with those numbers on the hills? It is a question that countless strangers to the area have asked after driving through the valley south of Kenmare.
During the past 54 years, all but a few of the graduating classes of Kenmare High School have left their mark for posterity on the hillsides. Each spring the seniors select a hill, gather with shovels, trucks, and paint brushes, then get to work. An outline of their class year is staked out. Then the sod is dug out and hauling in of field stones begins. When the trenches have been completely filled with rocks, the project is finished off with a coat of whitewash or paint. For many years, Rock Day was an organized school event for seniors just before graduation.
Most of the KHS class-year rock monuments have taken shape on the hillsides from seven to eleven miles south of town along Highway 52.
Class years from '51 to '98 can be easily spotted as one cruises through the area of the Baden overpass. Years pass, but the numbers remain highly visible as the classes apply a fresh coat of paint during their reunions.
The first KHS rocks took shape in 1945. The students' rock graffiti on the hillsides was initially conceived as a diversion from less desirable graffiti painted on buildings and other structures around town.
Scenic Lake Road
This road of approximately 12 miles runs along the Des Lacs Lake from near Baden overpass to the picnic area and former boat landing about five miles northwest of Kenmare. The south end of the road intersects with U.S. Highway 52. The north end of the road intersects with Ward County #1.
The section running south of Kenmare was once part of Highway 52. The scenic road offers great access for bird watching, observing wildlife, biking or hiking.
A new feature of this North Dakota Scenic Backway is the addition of 13 interpretive panels at pullouts and scenic overviews along the route.
Lake County Historical Society's Pioneer Village and Museum preserves the value of area history in a 5 acre, 18 building village.
Of special interest are a pioneer church, one room school house, 1904 home, homesteading shacks, and many early day businesses. Each are furnished to recreate their original settings.
Young and old will enjoy touring the village. For some it is a glimpse of their ancestors lives, for others a reliving of old memories.
The village is located along Highway 52, north of the Pizza Hub.
Big Springs Elk Ranch
The elk ranch is located just north of Niobe - about 9 miles northwest of Kenmare. Seventy head of elk, which includes new calves from this spring, are being raised on 160 acres of pasture owned by Larry Jessen.
The ranch is set in a scenic valley which includes numerous trees with a creek running through it. The elk are owned by Larry Jessen, Randy Jessen, Rick Harris, Lyndon Nelson, and Rodney Iverson. Visitors are welcome to stop in and learn about elk ranching.